Alumni of the Research Group Translational Neuroimaging
Many post-coma states have been studied in comatose patients by various neuroimaging methods, such as fMRI, PET et al. However, due to the lack of animal coma models, its still very challenging to perform systematic studies in the acute stage of coma (several hours to several days), especially as early as several hours after the onset, which is a crucial effective treatment time window. Therefore, it is highly important to establish an animal coma model which allows us to better characterize the correlates of neuroanatomy, neurophysiology, and behavior in the acute stage of coma, just from several hours to several days after the onset.
We are trying to establish a reproducible brainstem ischemia induced coma model in rats by occluding the basilar artery. This model will mimic the human coma patients induced by brainstem ischemia. In parallel, we will also establish the pharmacology induced basal forebrain and brainstem lesion model. These two models would allow a reproducible and reliable analysis of coma state changes in the acute stage by advanced functional mapping methods (such as fMRI and electrophysiology). Through combining molecular biology and these functional mapping methods in the two coma models, we expect to better understand the processes during the induction and acute phase of coma, as well as propose novel treatment strategy for coma patients in future.
 Maosen Wang, Yi He, Yaohui Tang, Hellmut Merkle, Xin Yu (May-2015): Identify the single unit of neurovascular coupling by single-vessel fMRI and optogenetics, 23rd Annual Meeting and Exhibition of the International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (ISMRM 2015), Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
 Maosen Wang, Yi He, Yaohui Tang, David Balla, Chunqi Qian, Xin (May-2015): Map the light-driven fMRI signal in combination with in vivo recording, 23rd Annual Meeting and Exhibition of the International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (ISMRM 2015), Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
 Maosen Wang, Yi He,, Yaohui Tang, David Balla, Xin Yu (March-2015): Light-driven fMRI and Electrophysiological Responses in Rat Brain, 10th annual meeting of the European Society for Molecular Imaging(EMIM 2015), Tuebingen, Germany
1 Jennett, B., Adams, J. H., Murray, L. S. & Graham, D. I. Neuropathology in vegetative and severely disabled patients after head injury. Neurology 56, 486-490 (2001).
I mainly focused on establishing a coma model and try to figure out the critical brain nucleus which is contributing to the switch of coma to awake states in the rat brain with fMRI, calcium recording and optogenetics. We are expecting to translate the knowledge acquired from the rodent brain to lead specific neural control for therapies of coma patients in future.
2014.7 - present Postdoctor Fellow, Department of high-field magnetic resonance, Max Planck Institute for biological cybernetics, Mentor: Xin Yu
2009.9 - 2014.7 Ph D student, School of Biomedical Engineering. Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Mentor: Guo-Yuan Yang,
2005.9 - 2009.7 B.S., Institution of Biotechnology, Beijing Forestry University.
Underlying mechanism of neurovascular coupling
Core switch underlying the brain arousal and coma states
HONORS AND AWARDS
Oct 2013 National Scholarship for Chinese Undergraduates
May 2013 BRAIN 2013 Young Investigator Travel Bursary, The
XXVIth International Symposium on Cerebral Blood Flow, Metabolism and
Function & XIth International Conference on Quantification of Brain Function
with PET, Shanghai, China
Dec 2012 First Prize in Oral Presentation on Research Day for graduate student,
School of Biomedical Engineering, Shanghai Jiaotong University
May 2012 Outstanding thesis honor, Ministry of Public Health, China
Nov 2011 Merit Student of Shanghai Jiao Tong University
March 2011 Jing-Qin scholarship for Excellent Student, School of Biomedical Engineering,
Shanghai Jiaotong University
2010-2012 Graduate Student Innovation Grant, Shanghai Jiao Tong University
Peer-Reviewed Journal Publications/Original Papers
- Yaohui Tang, Jixian Wang, Xiaojie Lin, Liuqing Wang, Bei Shao, Kunlin Jin, Yongting Wang, Guo-Yuan Yang. Neural stem cell protects aged rat brain from ischemia-reperfusion injury through neurogenesis and angiogenesis. Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism. 2014
Jul; 34(7):1138-47. doi: 10.1038/jcbfm.2014.61. Epub 2014 Apr 9.
- aohui Tang, Beibei , Falei iaosong He, Xiaojie , Jixian , Yongting , Guo-Yuan . Melatonin pretreatment improves the survival and function of transplanted mesenchymal stem cells after focal cerebral ischemia. Cell Transplantation. 2014; 23(10):1279-91. doi: 10.3727/096368913X667510.
- Jia Li*, aohui Tang*, Yongting , Rongbiao Tang, Weifang Jiang, Guo-Yuan ,
Wei-Qiang Gao. (Co-first author) Neurovascular recovery via cotransplanted neural and vascular
progenitors leads to improved functional restoration after ischemic stroke in rats. Stem Cell
Reports. 2014 Jun 19;3(1):101-14. doi: 10.1016/j.stemcr.2014.05.012. eCollection 2014 Jul 8.
4. Falei Yuan*, Yaohui Tang*, Xiaojie Lin, Yan Xi, Yongjing Guan, Tiqiao Xiao, Jun Chen, Zhijun Zhang, Guo-Yuan Yang, Yongting Wang. (Co-first author) Optimizing suture middle
cerebral artery occlusion model in C57BL/6 mice circumvents posterior communicating artery
dysplasia. 2012. Journal of Neurotrauma. May 1; 29 (7): 1499-505.
- Jun Huang, Yaning Li, Yaohui Tang, Guanghui Tang, Guo-Yuan Yang, and Yongting Wang.
Blocking CXCL12/CXCR4 signaling protects blood-brain barrier integrity and reduces. 2013.
Stroke. Jan; 44 (1): 190-72012.
- Lu Zhang, Yao Wang, Yaohui Tang, Zheng Jiao, Chengying Xie, Haijiao Zhang, Ping Gu,
Xunbin Wei, Guo-Yuan Yang, Hongcheng Gu, Chunfu Zhang.
2013. May 3; 5 (10): 4506-16.
- Jie Miao, Linhui Shen, Yaohui Tang, Yongting Wang, Kunlin Jin, Yongju Zhao, Guo-Yuan
Yang. Overexpression of adiponectin improves neurobehavioral outcomes after focal cerebral
ischemia in aged mice. 2013. CNS Neuroscience & Therapeutics. Dec; 19(12):969-77.
- Lili Zeng, Xiaosong He, Yang Wang, Yaohui Tang, Chaobo Zheng, Hongxia Cai, Jianrong Liu,
Yongting Wang, Yi Fu, Guo-Yuan Yang. MicroRNA-210 Overexpression Induces Angiogenesis
and Neurogenesis in the Normal Adult Mouse Brain. 2013. Gene Therapy. Accepted.
- Yongting Wang, Fenghua Xu, Chunfu Zhang, Du Lei, Yaohui Tang, Hong Xu, Zhijun Zhang,
Haiyan Lu, Xiaoxia Du, Guo-Yuan Yang. High MR sensitive fluorescent magnetite nanocluster
for stem cell tracking in ischemic mouse brain. 2011. Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology
and Medicine. 7 (6): 1009-19.
- Xiaojie Lin, Peng Miao, Jixian Wang, Falei Yuan, Yongjing Guan, Yaohui Tang, Xiaosong He,
Yongting Wang, Guo-Yuan Yang.
2013. Plos One. Sep
- Haiyan Lu, Yongting Wang, Xiaosong He, Falei Yuan, Xiaojie Lin, Bohua Xie, Guanghui Tang,
Jun Huang, Yaohui Tang, Kunlin Jin, Shengdi Chen, Guo-Yuan Yang. Netrin-1 hyperexpression
in mouse brain promotes angiogenesis and long-term neurological recovery after transient focal
ischemia. 2012. Stroke. 43 (3): 838-43.
- Linhui Shen, Jie Miao, Falei Yuan, Yongjie Zhao, Yaohui Tang, Yongting Wang, Yongju Zhao,
Guo-Yuan Yang. Overexpression of adiponectin promotes focal angiogenesis in the mouse brain
following middle cerebral artery occlusion. 2013. Gene Therapy. Jan; 20 (1): 93-101.
- Lili Zeng, Jianrong Liu, Yongting Wang, Ling Wang, Suiqing Weng, Yaohui Tang, Chaobo
Zheng, Qi Chen, Shengdi Chen, Guo-Yuan Yang. MicroRNA-210 in acute cerebral ischemia as
novel blood biomarker. 2011. Frontiers in Bioscience. June 3:1265-72.
- Falei Yuan, Yongting Wang, Yongjing Guan, Haiyan Lu, Bohua Xie, Yaohui Tang, Honglan Xie,
Guohao Du, Tiqiao Xiao, Guo-Yuan Yang. Microangiography In Living Mouse Using
Synchrotron Radiation. 2010. International Conference on Medical Application of Synchrotron
Radiation (MASR). AIP Conf. Proc. 1266: 68-71.
Book chapters/ Conference abstracts & Invited Reviews:
- Yaohui Tang, Yaning Li, Xiaojie Lin, Peng Miao, Yongting Wang, Guo-Yuan Yang. Stimulation of cerebral angiogenesis by gene therapy. 2014. Methods in Molecular Biology. 1135: 317-29. Book chapter.
- Yaohui Tang, Jia Li, Rongbiao Tang, Yongting Wang, Weiqiang Gao, Guo-Yuan Yang. Co-transplantation of Neural and Vascular Progenitor Cells Enhances Neurovascular Unit Formation and Long-term Recovery after Cerebral Ischemia in Rats. 26th International Symposium on Cerebral Blood Flow, Metabolism and Function, BRAIN 2013 (Shanghai, China)
- Yaohui Tang, Beibei Cai, Xiaojie Lin, Jixian Wang, Liqing Xiong, Yongting Wang, Chunfu Zhang, Guo-Yuan Yang. Dynamic Imaging of Mesenchymal Stem Cell Tracking to Cerebral Infarction With Multifunctional Probe. 26th International Symposium on Cerebral Blood Flow, Metabolism and Function, BRAIN 2013 (Shanghai, China)
- Yaohui Tang, Liuqing Wang, kunlin Jin, Yongting Wang and Guo-Yuan Yang. Brain Ischemia promotes Focal Angiogenesis in Aged Rats. 25th International Symposium on Cerebral Blood Flow, Metabolism and Function, BRAIN 2011 (Barcelona, Spain)
- Lili Zeng, Yongting Wang, Yaohui Tang, Chaobo Zheng, Jianrong Liu, Guo-yuan Yang. MicroRNA-210: prediction of clinical outcome in acute ischemic stroke. 25th International Symposium on Cerebral Blood Flow, Metabolism and Function, BRAIN 2011 (Barcelona, Spain)
- Yongting Wang, Falei Yuan, Yaohui Tang, Yongjing Guan, Xiaosong He, Yan Xi, Guo-Yuan Yang. Pivotal Roles of posterior communicating arteries in the mortality of mouse cerebral ischemic model. 25th International Symposium on Cerebral Blood Flow, Metabolism and Function, BRAIN 2011 (Barcelona, Spain)
- Yongting Wang, Bohua Xie, Falei Yuan, Yan Xi, Yaohui Tang, Tiqiao Xiao, Guo-Yuan Yang. A novel approach of cerebral vascular system characterization in mouse: synchrotron radiation phae-contrast imaging. 25th International Symposium on Cerebral Blood Flow, Metabolism and Function, BRAIN 2011 (Barcelona, Spain)
- Yongting Wang, Lili Zeng, Haiyang Lv, Falei Yuan, Bohua Xie, Beibei Cai, Yaohui Tang, Yongjign Guan, Guo-Yuan Yang. Ten-year Advance in the Study on Causes and Pathologic Mechanism of Ischemic Stroke, 2010. Chinese Journal of Contemporary Neurology and Neurosurgery. 10(1): 2-27 (in Chinese)
Papers submitted or in preparation:
- Yaohui Tang, Beibei Cai, Xiaojie Lin, Jixian Wang, Liqing Xiong, Yongting Wang, Chunfu
Zhang, Guo-Yuan Yang. Dynamic imaging of mesenchymal stem cell tracking to cerebral
infarction with multifunctional probe. 2014 (Manuscript submitted).